Manipal Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences


Introduction: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Tuberculosis (TB) co-infection is considered to be one of the important public health problems globally. Tuberculosis is a leading cause of mortality among people living with HIV/AIDS. Objectives: To find out the trends of HIV and TB co-infection, socio-demographic and clinical profile of HIV and TB co-infected patients. Methods: A hospital based descriptive study was done at a tertiary care teaching hospital in Mangalore. The hospital records of all HIV-TB co-infected patients admitted between January 2008 and December 2013 were reviewed and data were captured in data capture sheet. The data obtained was analysed using SPSS version 11.5, and the results were expressed in proportions. Results: It is observed that there is a decline in number of HIV positive cases from 2001 to 2013 except for the year 2006. Proportion of HIV positive cases among Integrated Counselling and Testing Centre (ICTC) clients ranged from 5.1% to 37.5%. The proportion of TB infection among HIV positive patients ranged from 6.5% to 17.3%. Majority of the co-infected patients were aged below 40 years (n=50, 56.8%). More than half of them (n=61, 69.3%) were males and the remaining were females (n=27, 30.7%). Heterosexual route was found to be the most common mode of HIV transmission among the HIV-TB co-infected patients (n=87, 98.9%). Around 50% of the co-infected cases were found to have extrapulmonary tuberculosis (n=44). Conclusion: Even though the trend of HIV-TB co-infection is on decline, sustained efforts are needed to detect and treat TB among HIV infected patients to curb the dual menace of HIV-TB epidemic

Included in

Nursing Commons



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.